Cardiff & Merthyr Guardian. Friday May 17th 1867.


SCHEDULE of FINES and FORFEITURES paid or payable to the Treasurer of the County of Glamorgan, from Epiphany to Easter Quarter Sessions, 1867.

Names. Sum



Payable but not


  £         s.          d. £         s.          d.  
Fredk. Shorthouse   0        5           0 Committed
James Bassett            4           7½ Not yet paid.


Cardiff Times February 19th 1870

Wages Case. George Shorthouse summoned Samuel Priestley for 18s. 9d. for five days work done at the Golligron colliery. The defendant admitted that this money was due, but said complainant had forfeited his claim by leaving his work without giving notice. To this the complaint said that he left because there was no timber to use. Mr. Priestley jun., was then sworn, and gave evidence which proved that the supply of timber was always at hand.  John Leyshon was called by the complainant and said that worked at Mr. Priestley’s pit. Knew that the complainant left for want of timber. Heard him ask Mr. Priestley for timber, when he was told that the proprietor had written for timber, which would be there in a few days. He (witness) and complainant left without giving notice, because there was no timber. Defendant asked for an adjournment for a fortnight, in order that he might produce evidence of the presence of timber on the day in question. Granted..


South Wales Daily News Friday July 5th 1872.


 George Shorthouse (22), Frederick Shorthouse (26), John Smith (24), colliers, and John Phillips (21), miner, were charged with unlawfully and maliciously doing bodily injury to John Jones at Lantrisant, on 9th April last (1872). There was a similar charge against the two prisoners Shorthouse for injury inflicted upon PC Lewis. Mr. Coleridge prosecuted, prisoners being undefended.

The prosecutor: John Jones, from the medical testimony, had received a number of contused wounds on the head. They were caused by a brass candlestick, which had been taken from the Boar’s Head Inn, where the row between the parties originated. Prisoner George Shorthouse was sentenced to nine months’ imprisonment, Frederick Shorthouse to six months, and John Smith to four months. The prisoner John Phillips was acquitted. No evidence was tendered against the prisoners in the second charge of assaulting the police constable, therefore that count was not proceeded with.”


Cardiff & Merthyr Guardian, Saturday July 6th 1872. 

(Before Mr.J.C. Fowler and Mr. G. Phillips.)


George Shorthouse, Frederick Shorthouse, John Smith, and John Phillips, were charged with maliciously and unlawfully doing bodily injury to John Jones, at Llantrisant, on the 9th of April last year. There was a similar charge against George and Frederick Shorthouse for inflicting injury upon Police – constable Lewis. George Shorthouse was sent to prison for nine months, Frederick Shorthouse for six months, John Smith was sentenced to four months’ hard labour, and Phillips was acquitted.


South Wales Daily News Saturday June 21st 1873. 


AN INEBRIATE – George Shorthouse, charged with being riotous at the Boar’s Head, Pontypridd, was sent to goal for 14 days.


Western Mail Thursday December 17th 1874.


On Wednesday, at the Pontypridd Petty sessions, George Shorthouse, Robert Shorthouse and Pat McCarthy, all of Gilfachgoch, were charged with cutting and wounding David Webber, near Gilfach Inn, Gilfachgoch, on the night of Monday last. It was said that the injuries the prosecutor had sustained were so serious a nature, and he was confined to his bed, and that the medical man who had attended to him had said he would not be able to leave it before Monday next.

Only sufficient evidence to enable the bench to remand the prisoners was taken.

Seth Phillips said that on the night in question he was in the Gilfach Inn with the prisoners, and David Webber. They quarrelled with Webber, and M’Carthy  challenge him to a fight, and the four left the house together. He (witness) followed, and outside saw Webber on the ground and the three prisoners kicking him. He went to Webber’s assistance and raised him up, when M’Carthy struck him (witness) on the head with a stone. (One of the prisoners here fell fainting in the dock, and was assisted to a seat.) He was then compelled to drop Webber and make his escape.

Webber was eventually rescued, but bleeding very much from the five cuts on the head, and he was also very much injured about the body. The prisoners were apprehended by Police-constable David Jones, who brought them to Pontypridd lockup.

The prisoners were remanded for a week to enable the prosecutor to attend to give evidence.


Western Mail Mountain Ash. Friday May 22nd 1874

A BRUTAL ASSAULT UPON A WOMAN. Frederick Shorthouse, Penrhiwfer, was charged with assaulting Elizabeth Cooke his brother’s housekeeper. It seemed that the two brothers quarreled, and that the assailant was prisoner’s brother. Prisoner appeared to have got the best of it, when the complaint stepped between them, and was struck on the side of the head. The blow caused her to fall and whilst she was on the ground the prisoner kicked her severely. He was fined £5 and costs. In default of payment to be imprisoned with hard Labour for two months.


Page 4