Article provided courtesy of John Robinson, Canada, 25th January 2018
The glebe is land in a parish belonging to the Church which is used to provide an income to the incumbent. This could include complete farms, land, houses etc.
The 1840 Tithe assessment for Trimdon shows that Robert Lazonby was the tenant occupying the Glebe farm. The area of the glebe is assessed as 118 acres 3 roods and 21 poles. The annual rent charge was £9 3s. 0d.This included 16 fields (2 to 12 acres), the farmhouse and garth, a portion of the Hartlepool railway and a limestone quarry. It also included the Parsonage house, orchard and churchyard, in the occupation of the Revd. Douglas.
The farm was on the south side of the village on the site of what was in recent times the Labour Club. It included a 10 acre field attached to the south. The bulk of the fields were along the West Road, an area between the water tower and Green Side farm, stretching north from the West Road to over the Hartlepool railway line.
Robert Lazonby who was born in Bishop Auckland was living in Brancepeth Parish when he married Elizabeth Vayro in Kirk Merrington. They had eight children, all boys, five in Kirk Merrington and three in Quarrington Hill. The Land Tax records show that Robert was occupier of the Crow Trees Farm, Quarrington Hill from 1805 until 1827, after this time, he moved to Trimdon Village and became occupier of the Perpetual Curacy – Glebe Farm. Tithe records show he was still on the farm in 1840 and was living there with his son Richard when he died in November of 1851at the age of 89. Elizabeth died April 1852.
The Crow Trees Farm in Quarrington Hill was taken over by his son Thomas when Robert moved to Trimdon. Their second son Robert at about that time was the occupier/tenant of the Hare and Hounds estate. He is described in later Census reports to be a Joiner and Master Cartwright living in Bishop Middleham. In 1833 the estate was offered for sale by auction.
Newcastle Journal Saturday 9th March 1833.
GARMONDSWAY MOOR – TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, at the house of Mr. Robert Lazonby, the Sign of the Hare and Hounds, GARMONDSWAY MOOR, in the County of Durham, on TUESDAY the 26th Day of March, 1833, at Two o’clock in the Afternoon, all that well accustomed PUBLIC HOUSE, known by the Sign of the HARE and HOUNDS, situate at Garmondsway MOOR, in the Township of Cornforth, in the County of Durham aforesaid, comprising Dining Rooms, Parlour, Four Lodging Rooms, Two excellent Kitchens, and Dairy, Cellar, Two Stables, Cow-House, Barn, Sheds, Thrashing Machine, Farm Yard, a Garden, well stocked with Fruit Trees; also Blacksmith and Cartwright’s Shops, and all other requisite Conveniences adjoining the same; together with 76 Acres and 2 Roods of Pasture, Meadow, and Arable Land, be the same more or less, in a Ring Fence, adjoining the above Premises, and in an excellent State of Cultivation, now in the Occupation of the said Mr. Robt. Lazonby, as Tenant thereof.
The Premises are held by Lease for Lives from the Lord Bishop of Durham, and,adjoin the High Road Seven Miles from Durham, and Four from Sedgefield, along which a Coach passes daily, and within a short Distance of the Clarence and other projected Railways, and within a Quarter of a Mile of Lime.
The Tenant will show the Estate.
James, the youngest child of Robert and Elizabeth, married Ann Gates on New Year’s Day in 1841. Their first legitimate child Hannah was baptised on 11th April 1841 in Trimdon. Ann had three illegitimate children at the time of her marriage, it has been speculated that James may have been the possible father, her third child being named William James (Lazonby) Gates. They did produce six more children after Hannah, making the total of ten. In the 1841 Census for Trimdon, James, a farmer, and his family, are living in the house of his father-in-law William Gates. Later Census reports show him as a Quarryman labourer. The 1861 Census also shows that daughter Hannah, now married to Frank (Francis) Robinson, an agricultural labourer, was living with them.
Ann Gates is the daughter of William Gates, cordwainer and Parish Clerk, and his wife Hannah Garthwaite, daughter of Joseph Garthwaite.