Annie is the youngest child of Frederick and Anne. She was born 31 Dec 1896 in Trimdon Colliery and died 28 August 1977 at the Highfield Hospital, Chester le Street, Co. Durham. Her residence at that time was 8 Tremeduna Grange, Trimdon Village.

The Shorthouse family was very close throughout their lives even though Arthur and Jane had immigrated to Australia. In age, Annie was closer to and associated with, her nieces Hilda Thornton, Eveline and Jennie Kell, and nephew Harry Kell, more than her own siblings. This relationship lasted throughout their lives.

Annie worked all of her life until retirement at the Station Town Cooperative store in Deaf Hill. She looked after the bookkeeping and accounts in a small office in the middle of the store. She never married but it was rumoured that she carried on an affair with Mr. Brown, who was married, the manager and secretary of the Society. She had several photographs of him in her album from the First World War. She loved visiting Scarborough and spent most of her holidays there.

She lived with her mother Anne in Deaf Hill, after retiring, moved to Trimdon Village to a flat above the Co-op store. Annie kept her mothers furniture and the family organ; it was a "portable" organ with peddle bellows operation. It was quite large and needed several people to move it. She played it occasionally. The organ was passed to Billy Robinson on her death who maintained it until his death, playing it occasionally. Disposal became a problem for Billy's wife Peggy until she found a local organ enthusiast in Hurworth Burn and gave it away.

An interesting sequence to the organ happened on last Tuesday (Peggy, March 31, 2009) at our craft and chat group when a lady from the old Water Board house at Hurworth Burn decided to join our group. Previous owners of house, musical friend Debbie and husband who were given the organ, decided to go home to Canada and a new family (also musical), a couple with 3 children and grandmother bought the house. Asked by Debbie if they would like the organ they were delighted. Molly Anderson (grandmother) told me her 8 yr. old grandson also played it when he got in from school most days. 

This week at the class I gave her some books of music that Billy had. He would be pleased to know that even if no members of the family wanted the organ it should have ended up this way. He also knew that house very well and the people who lived there when he was a boy.

Annie gave the impression of being that of a prim and proper person, always well dressed and expected to be waited on if visiting. She had her own circle of friends and was not a person you could just drop in to see.

When Annie died, age 80 years, a service was held in Trimdon Village Methodist Church on Thursday 1st September 1977 at 2:30 pm. Hymns "O for a closer walk with God" and The Lord's my Shepherd" were sung. Billy Robinson, great nephew, made all arrangements.



Page 49