Minutes of the Meeting of Trimdon Parish Council held in Trimdon Grange Community Centre on Tuesday 16 May 2017 at 7:00pm.
Present: Councillor John Burton (in the Chair) and Councillors Denise Davison, Eileen Dickinson, Rob Gilbert, Margaret Hughes, Ian Quinn, Bernadette Oliver, Leslie Oliver, David Smith, Keith Thompson and Paul Trippett.
Anne Delandre (Clerk to the Council) was in attendance to record the minutes and County Councillor Peter Brookes was in attendance to report on County Council matters.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from George Elliott and Margaret Elliott.
Resolved that the above apologies be approved.
- DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Under the Localism Act 2011 s.31(4) John Burton, Bernadette Oliver and Leslie Oliver requested an application for dispensation to allow them to speak and vote on Item 15(a) – specifically in relation to the financial grant to Trimdon Community College Association – as without the dispensation the number of persons prohibited from participating in any particular business would be so great a proportion of the body transacting the business as to impede the transaction of the business.
John Burton declared a Registerable Interest in Item 16(a).
Denise Davison declared a Non-Registerable Personal Interest in Item 15(c).
- That John Burton, Bernadette Oliver and Leslie Oliver be granted a dispensation under the Localism Act 2011 s.134 in relation to any issue regarding Trimdon Community College until the next parish elections in 2021
- That the declaration of John Burton in respect of Item 16(a) be recorded.
- That the declaration of Denise Davison in respect of Item 15(c) be recorded.
- PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
There were no members of the public in attendance.
Resolved that the above be noted.
- POLICING IN THE PARISH
There was no Police report available.
Resolved that the above report be noted.
- MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 11 APRIL 2017
It was agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 11 April 2017 be approved as a true record and signed by the Chairman.
- UPDATE ON PROGRESS OF RESOLUTIONS FROM THE LAST MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL 0N 11 APRIL 2017
The Clerk advised that Trimdon Parish Council had been represented at the Journal Culture Awards 2017 by GemArts. Unfortunately, Trimfest 2016 was not successful in winning the Best Event in Durham; this was awarded to Eleven Arches for their production of Kynren.
Resolved that the above be noted.
- PLANNING APPLICATIONS
- Planning applications:
10 Front Street South, Trimdon Village
Erection of two-storey detached outbuilding
Resolved that no comment be offered in respect of the planning application.
- Details of expenditure requiring payment by cheque were submitted.
Resolved that the payments be approved.
- The Clerk submitted the schedule of payments made between 1 April 2017 and 30 April 2017
Resolved that the schedule of payments be approved.
- The Clerk submitted the schedule of receipts received between 1 April 2017 and 30 April 2017
Resolved that the schedule of receipts be approved.
- The Clerk submitted the bank reconciliation statement (Instant Access Account) for the period ended 30 April 2017. This was cross referenced with the Bank Statement.
Resolved that the bank reconciliation statement (Instant Access Account) be approved and the Chairman sign the Bank Statement as confirmation of the balance.
- The Clerk submitted the bank reconciliation statement (Current Bank Account) for the period ended 30 April 2017. This was cross referenced with the Bank Statement.
Resolved that the bank reconciliation statement (Current Bank Account) be approved and the Chairman sign the Bank Statement as confirmation of the balance.
- CLERK’S REPORTS
- The Clerk submitted a report detailing the awarding of grants and donations to local community associations and other bodies. It was noted that, in addition to the requests considered at this meeting, the Parish Council is likely to receive additional requests throughout the financial year, particularly in relation to the withdrawal of funding from Durham County Council for youth funding, and that it will be necessary, therefore, to look at the financial implication of the awarding of future grants and donations during the course of the financial year.
- That the report be noted.
- That the Great North Air Ambulance be granted £500 under the Local Government Act 1972 s1.37
- That Trimdon Concert Brass Band be granted £1,000 under the Local Government Act 1972 s1.37
- That Trimdon Community College Association be granted £29,000 under the Local Government Act 1972 S.133
- That Trimdon Grange Community Centre be granted £5,000 under the Local Government Act 1972 s.133
- That Trimdon Village Hall Association be granted £5,000 under the Local Government Act 1972 s.133
- That Trimdon Colliery Community Association be granted £1,000 under the Local Government Act 1972 s.133
- That Citizens Advice County Durham be granted £2,500 under the Local Government Act 1972 S.142
- That Trimdon Village Hall Association be granted the funding to run the weekly CAB sessions under the Local Government Act 1972 s.142 (approximately £1,000 per annum)
- That Trimdon United Juniors be granted £,1000 under the Local Government Act 1972 s.137
- The Clerk confirmed that she had received quotations from two companies for General Insurance for the Parish Council.
Resolved that the quotation from a-on for a three-year renewal be approved.
- The Clerk confirmed that she had received quotations from two companies for the replacement of windows in the Clerk’s office.
Resolved that the quotation from ATC Plastics be approved.
- A request has been received from St Mary Magdalene Church Council for a financial contribution from the Parish Council towards the cost of re-pointing the west wall at East End Cemetery, Trimdon Village. The Local Government Act 1972 (section 214(6)) provides that “a burial authority may contribute towards any expenses incurred by any other person in providing or maintaining a cemetery in which the inhabitants of the authority’s areas may be buried”.
Resolved that a contribution of £1,300 towards the costs of the re-pointing be approved.
- A request has been received from Trimdon and District Caged Birds Society for funding towards the cost of the hire of the Community College for two bird shows.
Resolved that a grant of £220 be awarded under the Local Government Act 1972 s.137
- The Councillor’s Guide: Essential guidance for local councillors (2016) had been circulated with the Agenda.
Resolved that the above be noted.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR UPDATE
- Peter Brookes confirmed that himself, Lucy Hovvels and Morris Nicholls had all be re-elected as County Councillors for Trimdon and Thornley division
- The Labour Party has remained in overall control at Durham County Council, but with a reduced majority
- In view of a number of former County Councillors not being elected in May, the Cabinet is currently being restructured
- COUNCILLOR MATTERS – FOR INFORMATION ONLY
There were no items for discussion.
Trimdon Parish Council meeting on 16th May 2017